Available in Spanish!
Approved as 1 Hour in Key Area 1 - Operations or 1 CEU
The Food Allergy Management course is designed to assist school nutrition professions in preparing for and appropriately serving students with allergies. This course will help professionals:
- Understand the need for a food allergy policy, a food allergy plan, training, and swift action in response to symptoms of an allergic reaction.
- Understand the federal laws that affect how schools manage life-threatening food allergies, the USDA Guidance for School Food Authority regarding food allergies, tools to use at school, and students’ rights and responsibilities under the laws.
- Know how to read ingredient labels to identify allergens.
- Understand the need for standard operating procedures to prevent cross contact of foods and surfaces with known food allergens, and the difference between cross contact and cross contamination.
- Know the cleaning procedures for eliminating allergen residue from hands, cafeteria surfaces, and kitchen equipment.
This course is intended for school nutrition professionals.